Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Imagine

Every year at this time, I read everyone's lovely posts about their holiday preparations, their decor, their crafts, their family traditions, and I start to feel....less.  My house is small and cluttered, and my decorations quickly get lost in my daughter's "Lego Funtown" or my husband's mountains of DVDs and gaming accoutrements.    I try to clean and organize - we all do - but there just isn't room or time (or really the motivation) to do it.  And the voice in the back of my head reminds me that my daughter gets older every day, and all too soon Lego Funtown will be relegated to some storage bins.  We have our fun, and that is what we will all remember and treasure - not whether or not Mom's cross stitch things had a magazine-worthy display.
And yet.
This little picture and the ornament on its corner hangs on the wall of my basement "craft room" ( it isn't that much of a "craft" room, since I basically just put craft stuff in the old hair salon cabinets and added a desk).  And every so often I imagine.....a real craft room.  Shelving where I can put my pretty things, and only my pretty things, not pretty things surrounded by DVDs and Legos.  A Christmas tree holding years of handmade ornaments, and preferably one that doesn't look like a well-used bottle brush.
Everything in time, right?
I could stitch, but I have to go read with the founder, mayor and architect of Lego Funtown.  (Who, by the way, is also an excellent egg-cracker - in case you are in need of help with your cookie making.)  Pardon the mess.

6 comments:

Kay said...

A craft room i what I dream of too. My cross stitch stash is kept under the bed and in a trunk in the bedroom, any tips are kept in bags near my bedside. My quilting fabric is under the bed and the sewing machine is in the hallway. There are also several boxes of patterns etc in my room. Basically, it is everywhere that I can find to put it. One day I will hopefully find somewhere where it can live happily all together and neatly. Have fun with your lego. x

Justine said...

I agree with your priorities! That's a lovely stitch though, couldn't you find somewhere in your "upstairs" home to display it?

Erin said...

Oh, it's not stitched! Just a cheap print I found at a thrift store. :)

Carol said...

Erin, your priorities are perfect for this stage of your life!! Believe me--when my sons were little and running around the house, it was a cluttered place and I didn't have a stitching tree :) Now, that I am ancient (ha ha!) my house is clean, I have a lovely tree, but I miss the managed chaos that only children can create--especially at Christmas time. I don't have a craft room either--my stuff is scattered throughout four rooms! I'd rather keep my boys old rooms as bedrooms for the times they visit :)

Wishing you all the best in 2018!

Beth said...

The mess and chaos are signs of a happy, healthy, active family. Too clean looks sterile as though no one lives there.

Unknown said...

What if it's your husband who has the Legos everywhere?? ;)

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...