Monday, February 19, 2018

On Creativity

Lately, on Facebook and various message boards, I've seen a lot of talk about "Priscilla's."  I was not familiar with this particular site, so I Googled and found her blog.  It is filled with many lovely little projects, to be sure.  But then I see people lamenting that they just "aren't as creative as Priscilla," or that they "could NEVER come up with that."

Stop selling yourselves short, people.

We're crafters!  We make things!  And some things come out better than others, to be sure.  But don't devalue your own creative process just because you don't have a blog with a bazillion hits.  Wander the craft store and thrift store aisles with an open mind, and you never know what you might find.  Of course places like the blog I mentioned above and lovely finishers like Vonna (The Twisted Stitcher) are great for ideas...but when you start combining materials and colors in a way that pleases YOU, it is YOUR creation, not theirs.  This is where I start to wonder how much credit I need to give when I finish things anymore - for example, my little clock.
I was "inspired" by all the pocket watch finishes I'd seen - including Vonna's, and a few others.  But finding a piece that fit, the elements I used...it was all mine.

And what about my little zombie girl?
Someone else had used a little Halloween house decoration from Michael's for a similar finish before I posted this.  But there are Michael's stores all over the US, and who knows how many people decided to purchase one of these and do something like this.  Same goes for my mermaid lantern...
...and my re-purposed jewelry boxes.


I just don't feel that I "own" any of these ideas.  I'm not a professional crafter, and there's no profit for me to make in this.  Please, take them, change them, make them your own...and share them with the world.  In the end, we're combining threads and fabrics in ways that please us, and  then sewing or gluing them to other bits that make us smile.  

6 comments:

Suzanne H said...

You are so right! Whatever finish we have done is beautiful because of the love in every stitch. I love the lighthouse finish. I have a friend who would just adore this. Thanks for the pep talk!

Justine said...

Thank you - I really needed to hear this today! I enjoy Priscilla's flosstube but I sometimes prefer a simpler finish. We can get inspiration from all around us!

Joysze said...

Very well said!! Your finishes are beautiful!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I quite agree! I took one of my scrapbooks to a coffee morning last week and everyone loved it. But the finishes are so simple - a nice paper, some complimentary cardstock, ribbon and a few embellishments.

Priscilla's ideas are great and are simply variations on a theme - mount board, ribbons, greenery and an eye catching display board. I love how she finds display items at her local shop. The muffin tins were inspired!

Your mermaid is my favourite finishing idea on your blog.

Robin in Virginia said...

Very well said and written! I enjoy seeing everyone's ideas and finishes. Where did you find your boxes that you re-purposed? Love the Quaker motif in the second one.

Unknown said...

Amen and amen! Ideas are not something we own; we are just the host. Ideas aren't property - it's the execution of the idea that makes it personal. Great post!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...